Monday, November 19, 2007

An introduction

NYC, 12:45 A.M.

I'm not from here. Few people are. That was one of the first things I learned. Everyone is from somewhere else, and they have thier own stories to to tell. Or not to tell. That usually depends on how close friendships become. But that is the second thing you learn in New York, that friendships are simultaneously close and fleeting. Ten years, and both these lessons have shaped my understanding of the city and guided my experiences. I worked my way through college, and now I have the straight job, and I'm coming only to third hard lesson this city has been able to beat into me. That is, life moves so fast, and NYC has a way of surrounding one with so much noise and light that you forget to live your life. So I've decided to start this blog, partly because I want to begin working as a freelance writer, but mostly because I would like some kind of document, an imprint in the sand before the tide comes in.

I am from Salt Lake City, Utah. I was raised Mormon, though I was never a very good one. But I feel that this experience continues to shape how I realate to the world. Growing up surrounded by a community of faith effects every aspect of interaction, and this is something I would defintely like to explore in this blog.

I am a writer. I'm currently working on two novels that I hope will be more than a hobby. Hopefully, this blog will help me sharpen my skills and break out of the fiction ghetto. Here I will write about music, art, bars, and life. And television, which will be easy because I live in a tiny studio apartment, so finding a spot in the room that is not within range of the warm glow proves difficult.

I will start with this new project tomorrow. I just bought the soundtrack to the new Bob Dylan biopic, so maybe there will be an album review. Maybe I'll just bitch about work. Maybe both.

No comments: